The possibilities for increasing physical performance are limited
As all athletes know, the physical performance of the organism has its limits that can not be crossed with impunity. Let's look at some common (non-adaptive) stimulants of physical performance:
- Alcohol : Objectively increases physical strength. Drunken develops more muscle strength than sober, but at the cost of overloading and the risk of injury (tearing of the muscle, tendons, joint overload ...). Everyone understands that the use of alcohol in sports has its exact limits.
- Cocaine : Objectively increases stamina but at a high cost - overload, addiction, and health damage.
- Steroidal anabolics : Increases muscle growth, but has side effects that have been paid in sports magazines with a lot of attention.
For a totally healthy person in optimal conditions (ie, a non -physiologically-minded individual), it is almost impossible to increase some aspect of performance without negative consequences. Healthy, unbalanced people can maintain their physical performance through proper life , biorhythm, and a way of life close to nature and the nature of man. Only the use of adaptogens is important for the load.
Professional athletes know that the pain and feeling of fatigue after training is caused by minor tears in the muscles and tendons. After harder training, muscle fever occurs - mild inflammation of the muscles . Regeneration of the stressed muscle groups leads to the growth (muscle hypertrophy) of the muscle. I do not know how good it is to suppress this analgesic pain that professional athletes often enjoy. Analgetics shut down the whole section of cell communication (synthesis of prostaglandins) and their impact on the natural development of sporting fitness during training is not clear to me. According to my current state of knowledge, I consider it less risky to use adaptogens.
Adaptogens increasing physical performance
Adaptogens generally increase the body's adaptive range - the ability to withstand stress (stress in the broad sense of the word). The model adaptogen ginseng and its related eleuterokok (" Siberian ginseng ") are often used in sport. They have a number of effects that promote long-term performance, mainly by their anti-inflammatory action and improved muscle regeneration after training. But the physiological limits of peak physical performance do not have direct influence ( Engels2001egs ). For the same reason, adaptogens in sport are not considered as doping .
The main consideration for adaptogens is the reduction in the feeling of fatigue and the improvement of regeneration after exercise . Although we do not seem to get injured during the exercise, in fact, our muscles and binders are full of microtargets, which in turn lead to intensification of stressed tissues. Pain after intense exercise is related to the inflammation of the healing microcracks and the anti-inflammatory effects of adaptogens are exerted there .
The effect of ginseng on physical performance
Although I believe publications claim that ginseng does not increase peak physical performance ( Engels1997nee , Engels2001egs ), some studies claim otherwise. For example, according to Liang2005pns, prolongation of probands during aerobic exercise after exhaustion after 30 days of notoginseng ( Panax notoginseng ) at a dose of 1.35g daily increased by 7 minutes, their blood pressure dropped by 5mmHg and the oxygen consumption decreased by 5l / min during exercise. Bucci2000shh concludes that ginseng is effective when used in a standardized form (ie good quality), sufficient doses (> 1g daily) and for a sufficient time (> 8 weeks). According to the Hou2015iib ginsenoside Rg 1 clinical study, long-term administration of the gonorrhea inhibited inflammation and improved the recovery of proband muscles.
A great deal of attention has been paid to the varied protective effect of ginseng. Ginseng enhances the ability to withstand low temperatures ( Yuan1989egr ), protects against chemical stress , is highly effective against radiation , reduces pain , reduces pain in healing ( Morisaki1995mae ) and accelerates physical regeneration by 20% ( Kwon2003ekr ). For those interested I have written a small guide to using ginseng and determining personal benefits . However, the disadvantage of ginseng is the high price and also the fact that its reputation for miraculous plants overshadows other highly effective adaptogens.
- Eleutherococoid is widely used to increase physical performance in sports and in the army of former Soviet Union countries.
- Genuine ginger acts against inflammation and pain. Wilson2015gzo deals with his use in sports. According to Hoseinzadeh2015aeg, gingivitis reduces muscle pain during exercise.
- Vitania snodárna also has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Gynostema is the only panaxoside known to me to contain a plant outside the genus and can be grown naturally .
- Baikal shisha protects the heart ( Cui2015cba ) and other cells from oxidative stress, which is a typical attribute of aerobic exercise.
- Many other adaptogenic plants (such as pine, turmeric, schizandra, etc.) have a potential for healthy athletes' nutrition.