Serotonin, serotonergic (serotonin) system
Adaptogens acting on the central serotonergic system
Serotonergic effects of ginseng
Genuine Genens - overview:
- Ginsenoside Rg 3 and so-called ginsenoside M4 are non-competitive inhibitors of the 5- HT3A ionotropic serotonin receptor ( Lee2004grl ). Both epimers of ginsenoside Rg 3 are approximately equally effective: IC 50 = 47.1μM ± 20.5 ( Jeong2004sgr ). The exact nature of this interaction is described by Lee2007igi .
- Ginseng in stressed rats does not change the level of serotonin in the hypothalamus. ( Bhattcharyya1999epg )
Other plants with a serotonin effect
- Pink rosette ( Rhodiola rosea ) by the serotonin system alleviates symptoms of nicotine withdrawal syndrome in the rat. ( Mannucci2012sir )
- St John's wort ( Hypericum perforatum ) is not one of the adaptogens in the narrow sense of the word, but in the context of serotonin it is worth mentioning - it increases serotonin levels in the brain ( Bhattcharyya1999epg ).
- The Lin2003imo Taiwan study systematically investigated the effects of MAO herbs on monoamine oxidase (MAO) and the inhibitory effect found in Arisaema amurense (Ki = 0.59mg / ml), Lilium brownii (Ki = 0.58mg / ml), Lycium chinense (5.01mg / ml) Uncaria rhynchophylla (0.02mg / ml). In other words, it means extraction is extremely effective, A. amurense and L. brownii are 30 times less effective and the scallop is 250 times less effective than uncook.
- The TUM plant, Pueraria lobata (known in the US as the feared Kudzu weed), acts on the serotonergic system (monoamine oxidase inhibitor) and is effective against alcoholism ( Keung2001bad ).
- Ulbricht2006aes identified Valeriana officinalis , Melissa officinalis , Passiflora edulis , Oenothera biennis , Ginkgo biloba , Trigonella foenum-graecum, and Marrubium vulgare as potentially serotonin-like herbs (SSRI-like).
- Chinese peon glycosides ( Paonia lactiflora ) have inhibitory effect on monoamine oxidase and antidepressant effect in mice. ( Mao2008aep )