Immunity and brain are the two most complex body systems. Their diseases are also quite complex. Brain in mental illness works almost correctly, only bad conclusions are made. Similarly, the immune system in autoimmune disease works almost correctly, but attacks its own antigens . Therefore, on our own cells and proteins. The medical science of repair of these complex systems does not hold. It solves the situation by simply shutting it down. For psychiatric illnesses, psychiatrists disrupt the entire dopaminergic path, thus preventing the patient's frontal lobe to invent crazy plans. It's called pharmacological lobotomy. Similarly, in autoimmunity physicians disable the immune system by immunosuppressive therapy. Autoimmune diseases are large numbers and have different names depending on which tissues affect:
- skin and mucosa (lupus, psoriasis, chronic inflammation of the mucous membranes, pemphigus, atopic dermatitis)
- joints and cartilage (rheumatoid arthritis) , endocrine glands ( autoimmune diabetes , thyroid inflammation)
- nervous system: myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis ...
But standard treatment is always one: disabling the immune system by corticosteroids (prendison) or other immunosuppressants (azathioprine, etc.). Untreated autoimmunity leads to chronic inflammation and premature aging of the affected tissue. In the worst case, the irreversible destruction of the affected cell population - such as brain cells. But regenerating can not even pancreatic β-cells, the destruction of which is the essence of type 1 diabetes ...
Undesirable effects of immunosuppressive
Administration of immunosuppressants leads to a loss of resistance to common microbes, which is resolved by the administration of antibiotics , thus developing particularly resistant so-called hospital MDR strains of microbes. However, corticoids are much more harmful - see Buchman2001sec . These are analogues of stress hormones (aldosterone, cortisol ...) so that their administration keeps the body in constant hormonal stress . Therefore, the immune response is turned off, which, due to the high level of stress indicators, is postponed to later periods of stress. But the extreme hormonal stress that the body can withstand without harm for only a few days lasts forever. Administration of corticosteroids thus leads to catabolic changes, osteoporosis, atrophy of the muscles and atrophy of the adrenal gland, which are unnecessary. And last but not least, to hunger, overeating, obesity and hyperlipidemia. And there are even worse immunosuppressants such as cytotoxic methotrexate that directly kills leukocytes and other active cells. The question is: Is it possible to substitute or reduce dosing of standard immunosuppressants by properly selected phytotherapy?
TČM and Ajurvéda have something to say about treating autoimmune diseases. Indeed, even in our medicine, immunosuppressants are rich in natural origin. Traditional systems also use poisonous herbs such as Carmichael's ( akonitin ) and Wilford's triplets (triptolide), similar to autoimmunity. For those who do not know, the non-scientific TČM is a medicine with everything and works with the sharpest poisons that the doctor carefully cares for the dosage. But we will be especially interested in adaptogens that can be given to the patient without fear.
Managing the autoimmunity of adaptogens
Classical adaptogens often have anti-inflammatory and regenerative effects to alleviate both autoimmune and standard treatment:
- Vitaminic snoring (so-called Indian ginseng) is an adaptogen with anti-inflammatory to moderate immunosuppressive effects. The used part is the root in which vitaferins, vitanolides and other saponins accumulate, the most effective of which is vitaferin A. The dried root of vitania is nicknamed "Indian ginseng", but the effect profile is not identical with the ginseng. There is experimental evidence that vitania can be effective against rheumatic arthritis ( Khan2015ews ) and lupus ( Minhas2012tew ).
- Gennady's true vitamin resembles anti-inflammatory effects , but is less immunosuppressive and more regenerative. Several papers show the efficacy of ginseng right in atopic dermatitis ( Lee2011ekr , Kim2011eta , Sohn2011ekr , Lee2011krg , Cho2013ekr ). In rheumatoid arthritis, ginseng suppresses inflammation by reducing the STAT3 transcription factor phosphorylation and decreasing Th17 cell counts ( Jhun2014rge ). The Etemadifar2013gtf study demonstrates the effect of ginseng against fatigue in multiple sclerosis, the Yang1986sl study mentions the efficacy of panaxoside against lupus. Ginger lectins in the mouse model restricted autoimmune brain damage ( Hwang2011app ). Due to the large number of work on this plant, the references I have submitted are incomplete. In case of interest I recommend a separate search, you can start with the effects of ginseng against inflammation and fatigue .
- Glossy gloss protects cells against autoimmunity by activating FOXP3 + T reg lymphocytes ( Ma2015aeg ).
TCM mixtures used in autoimmune diseases
Yinxieling decoction (radix rehmaniae recens, root bark of peony tree, gypsum, lalang grass rhizome, oldenlandia, radicles lithospermi, rhizoma anemarrhenae, honeysuckle flower), effective against psoriasis, causes significant decrease of immune indicators (25149384)
(25904522) herbal therapies that have the most evidence for efficacy are Mahonia aquifolium and indigo naturalis, while there is less amount of evidence for aloe vera, neem, and extracts of sweet whey. Consistent evidence of fish oil supplements, some evidence for zinc, vitamin D, vitamin B12 and selenium, strong evidence supports Dead Sea climatotherapy (psoriasis!), Also stress reduction
(27822287) (Taiwan) The most common TCM formulation for psoriasis was Win-qing-yin (Warm Clearing Beverage), Baixian-pi (cortex dictamni, Dictamnus dasycarpus) was the most commonly prescribed single herb.
Other two commonly prescribed formulas were Xiao-feng-san and Long-dan-xie-gan-tang
Other commonly used single herbs are Mu-dan-pi, Sheng-di-huang, Tu-fu-ling, Dan-shen, Zi-cao, yin-hua
Cluster analysis has shown that mu-dan-pi (Cortex moutan, Paeonia suffruticosa), Win-qing-yin, Zi-cao (radix lithosperm, Lithospermum erythrorhizon, Arnebia euchroma, Dictamnus dasycarpus) and Di-fu-zi (fructus kochiae, Kochia scoparia) compose the core prescription pattern.
(26358493) Dangguiliuhuang decoction (DGLHD) is an effective treatment of autoimmune diabetes
(1): 1: 1: 1: 1: 1: 2, the main components (angelica sinensis, radix rehmanniae, radix rehmanniae preparata), adjuvant components (radix scutellariae, rhizoma coptidis, cortex phellodendri, has ferulic acid and catalpol, the adjuvant components are baicalin, berberine, astragaloside IV.
(27923369) autoimmune hepatitis, shu-gan-jian-pi decoction improves efficacy and reduces side effects of corticosteroid therapy
(27106785) You-gui pills have an effective TCM formula for multiple sclerosis, also promotes nerve regeneration
(163131118) zuogui pill against ovarian autoimmune injury
(23403612) shuangtengbitong tincture against collagen-induced arthritis
(27656238) in TCM, xianfanghuomingyin (XFHM) is used to treat autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis
(29430255) Yin Zhi Huang Soup (YZS) consists of herbs with anti-inflammatory properties (Artemisia scoparia 18g, Rheum palmatum 6g, fructus gardeniae 12g, artemisia anomala 12g, flos chrysanthemi indici 15g, litchi 12g, taraxacum mongolicum 6g) helped in prostate autoimmune model. Preparation: Soak together in 400ml of water for 30 minutes, cook with mild heat for about 20 minutes, most of the water can evaporate
(28302448) aconitin, the main active ingredient of the Chinese herb Aconitum carmichaeli used in autoimmune diseases, has an effect on systemic lupus erythematosus
(28736524) dangguiliuhuang decoction (DGLHD) is a TCM formula (see above + golden cypress?) Used for the treatment of diabetes and some autoimmune diseases
(29428242) Bu Shen Yi Sui capsule (BSYSC) is effective for the treatment of multiple sclerosis and promotes remyelination
(28156160) orally delivered polycurcumine against inflammatory bowel disease
fruits of vitania, snoring and cheeses, as well as mochyne Jewish cherry ,